ron minnich wrote:
> On 5/22/07, Eric Van Hensbergen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>> I'm not opposed to supporting emulation environments, just don't make
>> a large pile of crap the default like Xen -- and having to integrate
>> PCI probing code in my guest domains is a large pile of crap.
>>

> Exactly. I'm about to start a pretty large project here, using xen or
> kvm, not sure. One thing for sure, we are NOT going to use anything
> but PV devices. Full emulation is nice, but it's just plain silly if
> you don't have to do it. And we don't have to do it. So let's get the
> PV devices right, not try to shoehorn them into some framework like
> PCI.
>
> What happens to these schemes if I want to try, e.g., 2^16 PV devices?
> Or some other crazy thing that doesn't play well with PCI -- simple
> example -- I want a 256 GB region of memory for a device. PCI rules
> require me to align it on 256GB boundaries and it must be contiguous
> address space. This is a hardware rule, done for hardware reasons, and
> has no place in the PV world. What if I want a bit more than the basic
> set of BARs that PCI gives me? Why would we apply such rules to a PV?
> Why limit ourselves this early in the game?

Device discovery and device operation are separate.  Closed operating
systems and older Linuces will need pci as a way to have easy
plug'n'play discovery with no modifications to the kernel.
Virtualization-friendly systems like newer Linux and s390 can have a
virtual bus for discovery.

--
Do not meddle in the internals of kernels, for they are subtle and quick to
panic.