Carsten Otte wrote:
> I have been closely following thisvery interresting discussion. Here's
> my summary:
> - PV capabilities is something we'll want
> - being able to surface virtual devices to the guest as PCI is
> preferable to Windows
> - we need an additional way to surface virtual devices to the guest.
> We don't have PCI on s390, and Ron doesn't want PCI in his guests.
> - complex interfaces are a mess to implement and maintain in different
> hypervisors and guest operating systems, we need a simple and clear
> structure like plan9 has today
>
> To me, it looks like we need a virtual device abstraction both in the
> guest kernel and in the kvm/qemu. This abstraction needs to be simple
> and fast, and needs to be representable as PCI device and in a simpler
> way. PCI obstacles are supposed to be transparent to the virutal device.
> For me, plan9 does provide answers to a lot of above requirements.
> However, it does not provide capabilities for shared memory and it
> adds extra complexity. It's been designed to solve a different problem.
>
> I think the virtual device abstraction should provide the following
> functionality:
> - hypercall guest to host with parameters and return value
> - interrupt from host to guest with parameters
> - thin interrupt from host to guest, no parameters
> - shared memory between guest and host
> - dma access to guest memory, possibly via kmap on the host
> - copy from/to guest memory

I agree with all of the above.  In addition, it would be nice if we can
share this interface with other hypervisors.  Unfortunately Xen is
riding the XenBus, but maybe we can share the interface with lguest and VMI.

--
Do not meddle in the internals of kernels, for they are subtle and quick to
panic.