Daniel Veillard wrote:
>   Well if there were a way to discover running KVM instances and
> communicate with them, then we wouldn't need to keep a daemon as a
> parent process for libvirt access and control. It's a point I would
> love to see solved at the QEmu level, but it's not really urgent :-)

You can set the qemu monitor socket to a unix domain socket in some
well-known directory, and enumerate virtual machines by readdiring that
directory and trying to connect.  Of course that only works for qemu
processes started by libvirt, not random qemu processes.

(and I wish there was an SO_UNLINKONCLOSE option that could racelessly
garbage collect those dead sockets)

I still think having a daemon is a good idea; it can collect events
generated by qemu and possibly act on them.