Zachary Amsden wrote:
> Basically, it just makes it easier on distributors and allows any old
> kernel with paravirt-ops module support to run on any modern, new
> hypervisor - that might not have even existed at the time the distro
> was created.

Hey, isn't that what VMI's for? ;)

I'd been thinking about the possibility of allowing the domain builder
to provide a new paravirt_ops implementation to the booting kernel.  It
would be akin to a kernel module, in that its built for a specific
kernel, but obviously run a lot earlier.  But at this point I think the
idea is too crack-ridden to be taken seriously.

>> In the case of KVM, the paravirt_ops implementation is orthogonal to
>> paravirt device drivers.  A PV device driver can happily exist even
>> if the paravirt_ops backend isn't activated.  This is assuming that
>> hypercalls aren't used btw.  If hypercalls are desirable to use, then
>> the paravirt_ops backend would have to EXPORT_GPL the hypercall
>> interface.  I imagine returning a specific errno would suffice.
>
> I'm mostly in agreement on that - although making dual hypercall / I/O
> emulated drivers is a bit more work.

Semi-paravirtualized real-hardware drivers seems like a difficult
mishmash.  I would hope we could deal with it with a virtio-like thing.