Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
> Zachary Amsden wrote:
>> Basically, it just makes it easier on distributors and allows any old
>> kernel with paravirt-ops module support to run on any modern, new
>> hypervisor - that might not have even existed at the time the distro
>> was created.
>
> Hey, isn't that what VMI's for? ;)
>
> I'd been thinking about the possibility of allowing the domain builder
> to provide a new paravirt_ops implementation to the booting kernel.
> It would be akin to a kernel module, in that its built for a specific
> kernel, but obviously run a lot earlier.  But at this point I think
> the idea is too crack-ridden to be taken seriously.

I've been thinking about this wrt the hypercall page in KVM.  The
problem is that in a model like KVM (or presumably VMI), migration gets
really difficult if you have anything but a trivial hypercall page since
the hypercall page will change after migration.

If you cannot guarantee the guest isn't executing code within the
hypercall page (or in your case, doing something with paravirt_ops),
then you cannot safely migrate.