hi,
first of all thanks for the quick reply!

Avi Kivity wrote:
> Farkas Levente wrote:
>>   - i read in faq 3.6:
>>     "for the host. 1GB is probably a minimum configuration for the host
>>      OS."
>>     does this means i have to reserve 1GB for the host os?
>>

> No.  That is the total amount of RAM on the host (and it's a
> recommendation -- you can work with less if you like).
>
>>     it's strange for me just because eg with xen dom0 we use 256MB and
>>     it was enough since dom0 don't have any real load. it's not the case
>>     with kvm?
>>

> It depends on what the host is doing.  If it isn't running any workload,
> even 128MB should be enough.
>
>>     who much ram should i use for the guest os?
>>

> That's for you to choose; select as much memory as the guest needs and
> you can give it.
>
>>     eg if i use 6 guest then i need at least 6GB of ram?
>>

> If each guest gets 1GB, yes.  But you can give guests less memory.
>
>>   - is dynamic use of RAM for host operating system supported?
>>

> What's that?

ok i try explain our plan and ask a better question about the memory
setup. this may clean things a bit. i like to setup a server for the
development dept. which compiles softwares. we need to compile on
different platforms so we need:
- one main server for the development (svn, trac, pxe boot, web, email
etc, plus compile and test) centos 5 normally just this guest have some
load.
- mandrake 8.2 and mandrake 10 (to compile and test) don't have any
load, but during compile they have high cpu and disk load.
- windows may be two different 2000 and XP (to compile and test) don't
have any load, but during compile they have high cpu and disk load.

so i need a host and about 4 guest (i assume it also not recommended to
use the host for others just to run the guests?!). i assume 4GB ram and
think about:
- 256MB for the host. is there any reason to give more memory for the
host if it's only running the guests (kernel, ntp, local mail, ssh
nothing else running on it).
- -m 2000 for centos 5
- -m 768 for each mandrake and windows
fist of all is it possible to give more dynamic memory for guests as the
sum of the whole memory? if not what is the purpose of dynamic memory?
is the host can also dynamically get/steal memory from guests? or even i
can give -m 2000 for all guest and the host and they will try to compete
for the memory?
so in short in the above setup what is the recommended config for the
host and for the guest os?

>>   - what is the recommended guest disk image format? should i use an lvm
>>     partition as guest os partition (like in xen)? what is the
>>     recommended format assuming that may be later i'd like to add new
>>     guests and what is the performance differences (ie. which is the
>>     fastest format)?
>>

> Depends on workload.  lvm is fastest, qcow2 is most flexible and
> managable.  If your guest is not issuing significant disk I/O, I'd
> recommend qcow2.  Otherwise lvm.

what does the "flexible and managable" means?
i plan the whole system is on 2 x 250gb hdd in a raid1 and the host and
each guest has an lvm partition as /.