On 10/12/07, Hollis Blanchard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > 2) the TSC would have to be used as a clocksource.  You don't know the
> > frequency which is the first problem with using the TSC but some systems
> > have a TSC that changes frequencies.  A PV time source gives you more
> > stable clocksource (although as in glommer's patch, when the TSC can be
> > used, it's better to use it).
>
> As I understand it, the TSC is based on CPU frequency, which changes
> with power management. Architectural bug.
No. The TSC _used_ to be tied to CPU frequency. Current architectural
trends keep it constant, and provides other methods for cycle
counting. So in newer machines, the tsc should be constant.

> However, PV time still doesn't help here:
>       * The TSC is _user_ accessible, so PV time support in the guest
>         kernel doesn't solve the problem.
I'm not sure about which (of them) problem you are talking about here.

>       * It looks like external agents can perform out-of-kernel
>         frequency scaling on x86 (at least I see options for it on IBM
>         blades). So there must already exist some mechanism for a kernel
>         to be informed that the TSC frequency has been changed.

If the TSC frequency can be changed, I don't use tsc as a ultimate
resort of timing at all, but rather, just for micro-adjustments.

--
Glauber de Oliveira Costa.
"Free as in Freedom"

"The less confident you are, the more serious you have to act."