On Friday 01 Aug 2008, Christian Borntraeger wrote:
> Am Freitag, 1. August 2008 schrieb Daniel P. Berrange:
> > What are your intentions for this part longer term. Are you planning to
> > create a QEMU target for s390 so we can use real QEMU binaries instead
> > of emulating a subset of its features. If s390 userspace were QEMU based
> > them you'd be able to use libvirt as a management API in same way as
> > the other architectures.

Christian, Daniel,
Thanks for the response. I was simply intrigued by the possibility of using
KVM to virtualise zLinux and avoid having to use z/VM.

> Yes, the goal is to move towards qemu. kuli is not intended as a long term
> solution. Consider it a proof of concept/testing code to show that the
> kernel part is working.

> You can also look at our KVM Forum presentation:
> http://kvm.qumranet.com/kvmwiki/KvmForum2008?action=AttachFile&do=get&targe
>t=kdf2008_17.pdf The slide "Next step" contains the merge into common kvm
> userspace.

That would have been my next question: now the kernel modules is build, how do
I IPL  a guest machine?!

> I dont think we will see a full s390 backend just to make kvm work. We are
> considering Anthonys proposal for an kvm backend in qemu instead.

I have used Qemu for some years and It has always seemed to me since the
inception of KVM that the code bases should be merged to avoid duplication of
effort and to make things easier for the users.

I will follow up your links, thanks very much for the pointers.

Cheers...
-Robin
Robin Atwood.

         from "Mandalay" by Rudyard Kipling