Sounds like your configuration is very similar to mine.
I'm also on a vanilla kernel (2.6.27.7 in my case) with kvm-79 and
AMD processors.

You sparked my curiosity on the depmod -a issue, so I spent some time trying
it on different configurations.

I have two servers:
  * 1.8GHz AMD Opteron 2210 on an HP DL385G2,  AMD Opteron 2210
  * 2.5GHz AMD Athlon 4850e on a "green" build w/ a Gigabyte GA-MA74Gm-S2

I can reproduce it on the Gigagbyte build with ease.

On the HP DL385G2 server, I could reproduce it on one of my guests but only
once in every four times (and with multiple guests running, not sure if that
made a difference).

Like you, I also have had the feeling that my occassional hangs were more
likely on a freshly reboot, but don't have anything real conclusive to prove it.

I'm afraid I don't have an Intel-based server around right now to see if this
is an AMD-only issue.  I might be able to scrounge up an HP DL380G5
(with an Intel Core 2) but I'm not sure.

Chris