Neither do I have access to an Intel box.

I have an AMD Athlon(tm) X2 Dual Core Processor BE-2300
on asus m2a vm with 6GB RAM.

The host is running 32-bit Gentoo with PAE. Guests are 32-bit
Gentoo (w/o PAE, tried with same hangs) using virt block and
virt net.

I suspect it's the load (CPU + IO) that will cause the hang and
it's reverse proportional with the uptime.

When the host just booted, it sometimes even have trouble to
boot the first guest completely, but killing it and restart it would
boot.

I have tried different clocks for the guest, (kvm and acpi_pm), it
doess't matter. I have tried different kernel config, last attempt
is to build separate kernel for host and guest, still hangs.

I also tried to disable oos_shadow, but that doesn't change anything.

The host is booted with (as Marcelo told me):
kernel /boot/bzImage-2.6.27.6-host root=/dev/md0 clocksource=acpi_pm
notsc profile=kvm

but I don't have /proc/profile, so can't do readprofile.