Andras,

2011/1/13 Andras Timar <tima...@gmail.com>

> I understand. I don't know how LibreOffice install was supposed to
> work. One possibility is that it checks for OS language. The other is
> to check for regional settings. You run your English Windows with
> Slovenian regional settings, do you? (I can't test all cases, because
> I have only Hungarian Windows XP.)

Yes, I run Slovenian regional settings, of course. In that case it should
also work but it did not. But - are regional settings the right way to go? A
Frenchwoman living in Moscow will have Russian regional settings (because
she lives there and it is more practical for her that way), but she wants
French LO installed...

> Having a language selection window that you suggest is a good idea
> IMHO (not for 3.3 though). I think you should file a bug and give the
> specification there.

Well, here we disagree. The l10n teams (more or less knowing the
habits/culture and representing non-English users) were wondering about the
changed concept of online help on Windows and this multi-culti installer.
This was a too big change to introduce with LO33, as I already wrote, it was
not communicated with L10N teams etc. But my skepticism did not stop it. So
it happened, but I (and probably other L10N-ers) expected that it will be
done properly - so that builds can still be fully localized. Now we are
stuck in the middle and we hear: there is no time to fix this for 3.3. Well,
there was no time to introduce/design/implement/test this huge change for
3.3 in the first place. You can't rush a production of a car and say, we
cannot fix this new security belt, hey, its not a biggie, don't panic...

There are two possibilities:
- the changes for Windows for online help are rolled back and there will be
an English build with international langpacks (or international full
builds);
- the implementation goes forward until it is bug-free: installer allows UI
language selection *and* online help from a localized LO UI is localized,
i.e. Hungarian LO UI with F1 opens Hungarian contextual help in the LO
help-wiki (I cannot test this with my install, RC2 with Slovenian helppack
was reinstalled with RC3, which still uses the RC2 help, although I did not
install localized help for RC3 - how do you uninstall help? This might be a
bug as well - many things are not polished with these helppacks);

And there is even a third possibility:
- LO33 is published as English only and/as a technology preview for other
languages. This way we can test if this online help decision was right or
not and the community can vote.

Thanks,
m.