Hi :)
I like the questions and sub-questions.  I think the only thing that was
missing were sub-questions about how confident people are about using the
results of help they get from each method.

Do people trust all the answers they get from google-searches (or other
internet search), or from the guides, or in-built, or Ask, or mailing lists.

2nd addition might be "Do you check answers before implementing them?" with a
sub-sub-question "Do you feel the system has a method of checking itself"

Perhaps ask if people already have or would prefer to have 'traditional'
telephone support?  Either as a Yes/no tick-box type or as an open-ended
question for people to type in comments (or give space for both)

I know a lot of people that are only familiar with MS products and other
proprietary systems who are a bit scared of trying LibreOffice because there is
no 'professional' telephone support.  Such people tend to distrust user-led
support from "well meaning people that don't really have a clue" because they
have only experienced forums such as the Yahoo one.

My own experience (and probably the experience of anyone that really has used
proper forums/mailing-lists) is that telephone support is entirely dependant on
whoever you happen to get when you call.  If their idea was rubbish then no-one
steps in to give a better approach.  By contrast in forums and mailing-lists if
you manage to get any answer at all you tend to get several different
view-points and approaches.  Any inaccuracies in a forum tends to make other
people jump in with warnings.  Also their answers are easy to copy&paste into
google although people tend to give clickable links (I've never had a clickable
link from a telephone call!).  Also i tend to find most answers from most
people on mailing lists are a much higher standard than answers from telephone
support.  People really seem to care about getting a good result and in helping
access official documentation or wikis.

With published books and the in-built help i tend to trust that it's gone
through several stages of proof-reading and verification before being
published.  Generally i find in-built help difficult to navigate but often it
pops-up with something directly relevant to what is on-screen so that usually
makes it easier if that is what my question is about.  However, in-built help
usually looks like some bad Win 95  thing and in many apps gives the impression
of being very out-of-date.

With wiki's i've heard people grumble that they don't trust the motivations of
people writing them and hence worry that the knowledge may be biased,
misleading or even dangerously wrong.  Errrr, i am a wiki-editor btw lol.  My
answer is that pages tend to settle down once more people add to them as biases
tend to get"get ironed out".  (So i tend to avoid maintaining pages where i am
the only one editing the page unless its just the first week or so).  Also it's
fairly easy to check the history and compare changes.  Also it's easy to check
external and other references.  I trust properly published guides more but find
wikis easier to use quickly.

Regards from
Tom :)