13/07/2013 15:32, sgrìobh Tom Davies:
Hi :)
Thanks :)  So it's something that doesn't happen in English so there isn't
really a good name for it?
Not unless English develops a complex tone system. It's possible of course but not in the next 100 years I'd say.
So in other languages it might be easier to shorten it to something that makes
more sense to people?
I guess so. It's the old question of how freely to translate. It's technically the name of a code range in Unicode (like Latin 1 or IPA Extensions) but I think translating this so it makes sense in to the user is more important than sticking to the exact Unicode range name.

Your original explanation makes a lot of sense;
"diacritic marks that mark tone in tonal languages, so there's "squiggles" that go
above or beside another letter to indicate if it's a high rising tone, a low rising tone, a mid
level tone, and so on."
I know exactly what you mean by that because i have seen such marks in many
other languages.  The technically correct and more official line
"Linguistic symbols for marking tone in tone languages that modify another letter
(usually a vowel)"
still leaves the meaning unclear.  In the 1st line, even though i don't know what
"diacritic" means you explain that well by using the word "squiggles" which is
much friendlier.  So, i feel i learned something even though the 1st description is still quite
short even if it's not short enough.

Thanks and regards from
Tom :)
You're welcome :)