Hello Andras, *,
On Montag, 31. März 2014 20:39 Andras Timar wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 6:41 PM, Thomas Hackert
> <thack...@nexgo.de> wrote:
>> I am not sure (a quick search at amazon.de, ebay.de and pearl.de
>> does not show up any of the above mentioned labels ... :( ), but
>> normally I have seen parts of the product name translated in the
>> past (in the above examples this would be "CIL-W227
>> Diskettenlabel" or "CIL-W224 Audiokasette" (or something like
>> that). But if you look a little bit below, you will see the entry
>> "CIL-W228 CD Label for CD Labeller" (but it is also the case with
>> the brands "Avery A4", "Avery Lettersize" with entries like
>> "11251 Clear Label/Index Make Spine Label 1" or larger"), where
>> at least words like "for" or – in the last example – "or larger"
>> should be translatable ... ;)
>>
>> Or am I completely wrong here ;?
>
> Did you notice that audio casettes and diskettes do not exist any
> more? :)

hm, maybe you (and your friends, family etc.) are too young for
them, but I as well other older people still own cassettes and
diskettes ... ;) And I still know a couple of people, who prefer to
tape someone new music instead of burning them on CD ... ;)

> Naturally, there is a little interest from customers for
> their labels.

Not really. They may not be demanded that much as – say – CDROMs or
the like, but I think, there is still a market for them ... ;)

> You found a problem, that there are untranslatable text in UI. But
> the problem is deeper. We don't know whether this label set is of
> any use today.

And it is really difficult to see, in which country they were sold
in the past ... :( Some of the producers I have never ever heard of
... :(

> It was made in 90's, 15-20 years ago. It happened
> definitely before the code opening in 2000, because half of the
> label names are in German.

"Tower", "Avery A4", "Avery A4/Asia" and "Avery Letter Size" still
contain loads of English names for these labels ... :(

> It would be a good Easy Hack for a non-programmer, to download
> catalogs of label makers, and update label.xml -- remove obsoleted
> entries and add current entries that people can actually buy
> today.

That may be an easy hack, but I think this would also be really time
consuming ... :( Would it be possible then to split these by country
/ language and to provide them with the langpacks? Or would this be
impossible?
Thanks for your answer and have a nice evening
Thomas.

--
Nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit.
        [There is no great genius without some touch of madness.]