You should try transifex, they are using the method of statistic base on
the percentage of the words/phrases/characters.

Transifex is a paid service, but with the type of project open source, you
can do a little test for your testing translation, it will give you big
surprise.
Crowdin uses a style of a real CAT style, with the embedded Bing & Google
inside, but it also restricts with project (free for open source but you
have to get contact with them first).
Meanwhile, Transifex asks you to pay fee for their service of using API
from Google & Bing.

And about the speed stuff.
Yeah, this is really a hell for us.
When working with a single po file, wow, Pootle is charming, such as
xvideos for free.
But with multiple po file, and assume this po file has 3 unstranslated,
that po file has 15 unstranslated, these po file have... those po file
have... in a single click of "untranslated strings", and then, the speed
after pressing Ctrl+Enter would be a long waiting.

Pootle is free of charge, embedded inside every own system/website.

So, everthing is ok, better or worse, well, base on our choice and money.

At least, we havent used the type of "upstream" any more, this is really a
disaster.
Translating offline and pushing up, well, not a trend though.

Pootle/transifex/crowdin is a trend of "cloud", this case, is good.
But as I have said above, choice and money again, will decide the leading
role.

>From your email of sharing about foobar, this would make me a heart attack,
honestly I havent joined any kind of that translation activity.