Hi,

> On 24 Jan 2015, at 06:26, YoheY - OpenOffice <openoff...@yohey.hu> wrote:
>
> Yet another point of view.
> Sounds reasonable, 'affordable', maintainable.
>
> A 'localized' mailing list was a wish of mine too, when I had to keep in
> touch with other translators in my language. Not to mention that the
> difficulties of using a foreign language on different levels or using it at
> all vanishes in a moment. Every sublist member understands 'natively' what
> the other is talking about.

As a grizzled elder of the community (*cough* *cough*), localised MLs work fine
as long as they are actually populated with posts and as long as those posting
do not effectively wall themselves off simply by focusing on their lists. The
rule we had before was that all posts related to actual coding work being done
on the application must be in English and must be on the general development
lists. The problems we encountered before related not just to insularity and
then alienation (which could very well result in fragmentation and even
forking), but, again, the withering silence of a list left dead and forgotten
by the absent community.

We knew of this possibility when we first started the NL programme, back in
2001 or so, with the creation of the Francophone list and project, itself a
difficult negotiation. But our caution then was also arguably misplaced. When I
set the structure up, I hated the idea of locality and nation and wanted to
exploit the abstracting qualities of the Internet. So I emphasised language
over region and nation (didn't matter where you were or your nationality; flags
were not used and indeed nearly prohibited) and deprecated in-person meetings
and events. By the time I realised just how vitally important such were, it was
hard to swing the momentum around. What made me realise the importance of
locality and humanity (sigh) was the success of those linguistic communities
that also had strong physical presence, such as the German, Italian, Brazilian,
to name but three; there were others, too.

Hence, my desire to develop local, human, in-person groups that complement
lists and keep OpenOffice real.

best
louis