On Fri, 10 Oct 2003, Alex Satrapa wrote:

> 4) Make it work reliably (24x365)

I believe you'd be better off starting with rp-l2tp and hacking that.
In my experience (I'm the author of rp-l2tp, of course! :-)) it's more
reliable than l2tpd.

> 5) Make it work large-scale (2000 PPP connections on one server)

You will not easily achieve that with the current Linux PPP
implementation.  On our tests on a real-world machine running rp-l2tp,
each PPP connection took approximately 1MB (!), so you'd need a lot of RAM
to accomodate 2000 of them.  Also, as you mentioned, the
context-switching of 2000 userspace processes will be hard on the CPU.

Simply put, the Linux PPP implementation was never designed to support
more than a few simultaneous connections.  Reworking it to do so will
be a lot of work.

Regards,

David.