Alex Satrapa wrote:

Jeff McAdams wrote:

The context switches of pppd aren't that bad. The memory consumption is a problem, but the context switches aren't a problem.

Well... 2000 context-switches per second with one call active, just transfering the Linux kernel source via scp. Though I guess that's partly to do with the scp bit. I really need to get the test machines working as routers (like they're supposed to) and not as end-points.

Sure...if you're running l2tpd, you'll have context switches out the wazzoo...we were only talking about the context switches involved in having large numbers of pppd connections running (ie, more traditional)...while you have a pppd process per call, the context switches there won't kill you, because the pppd for each call won't get woken up just to handle the data traffic...only if there is control traffic.

--
Jeff McAdams
"He who laughs last, thinks slowest." -- anonymous