She very well may be - she may have spinal stenosis from arthritis, affecting the control of everything on the "far end". My father's last dog developed this. She was safe as long as she lay still, but when she got up, she couldn't help doing her "thing" or two. My father didn't punish her for it - just cleaned it up, since as he said, "She can't help it". He finally had her put to sleep when she could no longer climb the stairs to the back door, and he was too old and frail to lift her. I must say, much as I hated to see her personality go, I did prefer not finding the wet spots about!