On Sunday, Aug 17, 2003, at 23:57 US/Eastern, Malvary Cole wrote:

How funny "those in authority" are - on Friday morning, when the majority of people
still had no power the instructions were: "Check our web-site at [EMAIL PROTECTED]".

Sounds like a Polack joke, doesn't it? <g>

I'd love to have had enough electricity to make my tea

I learnt to make my tea (and soft-boil, hard-boil and scramble eggs) on a gas stove. I learnt to cook (after I got here) on an electric one. So that, when DH decided to shift to a gas one a few years back, I was dubious. But, whatever its faults (and it has some), it'll make tea *any time* :) The day we got it, I went out and got a pack of match-boxes (the starter spark operates off electricity), and keep one (and a candle) in a little dish right next to the stove (just as we did in Poland, where there was no electric spark to light up the gas, *only* matches). Woe betide to anyone who shifts is as much as a couple of inches -- I have to be able to find it in the dark. But, since we got the gas stove, I might have had to go puter-less on occasion, but never tea-less... <g>

-----
Tamara P Duvall
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Lexington, Virginia,  USA
Formerly of Warsaw, Poland

unsubscribe lace-chat [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to [EMAIL PROTECTED]