In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Joy Beeson
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
>Lard or suet would make much nicer cookies than "vegetable shortening".

Except that, as my coeliac father in law discovered, thanks to various
EEC directives (which may or may not be the case outside Europe) suet is
no longer available direct from the butcher, and the processed variety
is usually coated with flour to stop it from sticking together... yet
another of the minefield of foods that sound safe until you look what is
actually used in the processing, but never mentioned in the ingredient
lists - eg chocolates that have travelled along a conveyor belt
sprinkled with flour!

Lard tends to increase the shortness of a pastry dough - hence the
reason why we were taught to use half lard, half margarine for pastry
making.  Ground almonds produce the "melt in the mouth" effect, but only
for those who can eat them (I can't - since I discovered that various
nuts were the culprits in producing mouth ulcers! - and on that score,
if you have a nut allergy, beware the chocolate cakes in certain UK
National Trust restaurants, some contain ground almonds).

--
Jane Partridge