My brother and I both have the dreaded gluten allergy - he lives on prescription foods
and I live on stuff from the supermarket.

I have to read the ingredients each time I go shopping and avoid certain brands that I
know to be an issue, however, I live on predominately basic foods that I cook from
home - ie I make a stew from scratch, eat loads of salads and other fresh ingredients.

When we got together recently I discovered that my brother actually ate less
preprepared food than I did (I love Waitrose and their curries which, within the the
range that I eat are all gluten free - absolute comfort food).

However, my brother eats an awful lot of pack things that he has made up by his wife.

When we compared our diets I realised that he was trying to eat the same food as
before but the gluten version, where as I had completely changed my diet.

I eat a lot of rice, gluten free pasta and fresh foods (if in doubt have a steak,
chips and fruit salad when out - but not an ordinary salad often has dressing on it
and mayonaise has malt extracted vinegars so you avoid that.

I don't miss cakes or pastries - Ok sometimes I would love a foccia loaf but that only
takes me over once in a blue moon and I do miss Chinese Food as most takeaways use a
soy-sauce that includes wheat extract but I have a good diverse intake and survive.

What I hate is when people ask you what you eat and you say 'plain meat and veg and
don't worry about the gravy' and they decide to do a stew thickened with flour.  So I
always carry crisps and biscuits in the car and smile and say 'I'll just have an apple
then'.

Regards

Liz Beecher

unsubscribe lace-chat [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to [EMAIL PROTECTED]