When I was a kid in Poland, we didn't have TV for a long time, and even
now only 3 channels, so I never watched much - read insane lots of books
instead (I had to hide from my mom because it was bad for my eyes).  I
really hope my children will read...  Actually I probably won't even
want a TV in the house (I'm doing just fine without one now) - that
should help <g>.
As for memorization - again, that's almost all that happens in Polish
schools.  *Lots* of memorization.  You're right that some is good for
you (the idea of not being able to multiply in your head is just
horrible), but believe me, too much is really bad.  For one, you forget
everything immediately in order to make space for the new stuff, and
you forget the important stuff along with the unimportant - I had to
memorize too many dates in my history classes and now I have no idea
when the French revolution was...  Also, it just makes you want to never
have to learn anything again, and that attitude is really a big problem later.
That said, some memorization really is good.  I'm very scared of sending
my kids (if and when I have some) to American high schools.

Weronika