Weronika, the problem of "getting lost" in conversation doesn't only occur when
moving to a country with a different language!   I come from England, have
lived in Australia most of my life - and after all, both countries are supposed
to speak the same language!  However, after all these years, I still find that
the occasional Australian phrase comes up which I don't understand, I still use
expressions which turn out to be particularly English.  Then when I go  back
home to England, although I automatically drop the Australian accent and start
speaking with an English one again, I confuse people by using terms and
expressions they don't understand there either - so in both countries I spent a
bit of time "translating" or explaining what I mean!!!

Regards, Ruth Budge (Sydney, Australia)
Weronika Patena wrote:

In the US I get in lots of conversations I'm completely lost in...
Tamara, does this ever go away?

http://au.movies.yahoo.com