On May 28, 2004, at 0:52, Margot Walker wrote:

And the arrangement of dates? Don't even get me started...Where's the logic of having "month, day, year" sequence???

Only the U.S. does that, the rest of us do day, month, year.

I have a strong suspicion -- Weronika? -- that Poland is now aping the custom (along with many others). When I was growing up, the dates were not only written in the "day, month, year" sequence (the logical progression from the smallest to the largest unit), but the month was written in Roman numerals, just to make everything perfectly clear. So, today, would have been: 28.V.04.

Sometime after I left, the month began to be written in Arabic numerals. I expect, with the school week being reduced from 6 days to 5, there was't enough time to teach kids Roman numerals <g> But, later still, I began to get things dated *both* ways: 28.5.04 and 5.28.04. Drives me up the wall :)

Re linguistic changes due to separation (age, distance)