Sue, I sympathise with your mum. I didn't realise that RA doesn't affect the
topmost finger joints, and, what I thought was a flare up in some of them
that would settle, is developing osteoarthritis. I've also been told that I
must come off steroids, which I've been taking for the past 5 years, so
while my joints are starting to complain during the reduction and eventual
replacement with an increase in one of my other drugs, I'm having a bit of
difficulty gripping things because my thumbs are particularly painful.

What I've always been told is to get pain under control by taking the
maximum dose of painkillers to begin with. It's like coming downstairs with
pain at the top. You take a dose of painkillers and the pain comes down two
steps, as that dose wears off, the pain goes up one step. The next dose
bring you down two more steps and gradually up one as it wears off. So
eventually the pain will reach the bottom of the stairs, and you can start
taking a maintenance dose, or stop altogether if the cause of the pain has
been eased.

Transferring load to a larger joint is wise, so, for instance, instead of
trying to hold a cup and saucer with fingers, put it on a tray and rest the
tray across your lower arms so your elbows are taking the weight. Put
potatoes and other vegetables in the type of wire basket that you find in
chip pan, and put that in your saucepan of water. When the vegetables are
cooked lift out the vegetables in the basket, and then lift the saucepan and
water - lighter than vegetables, water and saucepan.

I don't believe in 'old wives tales' and alternative therapies - done't see
how they can work, but the physio' who treated me after my knee replacement
said that magnetic bracelets can work if you're sensitive to them, and not
everyone is. She said that all cells have a positive and a negative end, and
if they become misaligned you can experience pain. If you're sensitive to
magnets, then a magnetic bracelet can realign them and ease the pain. I had
a rigid open-ended one with a magnet at each end, and it worked. But I react
to some metals, and the bracelet caused intense irritation so I stopped
wearing it. However last week I found one made completely of magnetic beads
on memory wire so there's no metal to irritate. That too is giving me
relief.

Crafts gloves can help some people - like tight fitting mittens. I have soft
splints to wear during the day if I need to - they can be bought at disabled
living shops - and rigid ones for night time, but I don't wear them because
they make my hands more painful not less.

There's no way I'd give up my crafts unless they were impossibe.  I had to
give up knitting and learned bobbin lacemaking instead.  I pick the bobbins
up by the spangles - that's most comfortable for me. My rheumatologist said
last week "It's your illness. How you manage it is entirely up to you. You
know what you can do and what you can't. You know what you're prepared to
sacrifice and what you're not, while still maintaining the quality of life
you want. You also know that if something cause you pain, it's proably not
doing you a lot of good, but again it's your choice."

Hope your mum finds something to give her relief.

Jean in Poole