I wonder also whether people will want to
return to live somewhere where they have experienced such devastation -

It may not be an issue of wanting. It may be more of returning to an
environment we know and to where our support system, lives, family, friends,
schools, culture are. For the companies that weren't affected too bad,
that's where our jobs are. Admittedly, things will be different. Also with
regard to New Orleans, I feel plans for improving what went wrong are
already being planned.

Had I not married someone who chose to leave Louisiana, I would probably
still be there. For now, if something disastrous were to happen where I
currently live, I would probably return because that's where my life is now.
That's where my friends and support system are as well as my children's
lives, friends, school, etc.. That's where I want to be. The environment
fits my family's medical needs better.

I think I would be one who would get to the highest ground, and
furthest from the Gulf states, just in case ...

When looking at the devastation in New Orleans, also consider the
devastation that can be caused by other natural causes such as tornadoes,
earthquakes, wildfires caused by lightening, volcano eruptions, chinook
winds in the mountains, hail, landslides, etc.. It doesn't matter where you
live there is going to be some kind of natural event that is going to cause
destruction. When I lived in Shreveport, LA, as a child, we had several bad
tornadoes hit the area. Just a few years ago Fort Worth, TX/Arlington, TX,
area got hit very hard with tornadoes. It came very close to the part of
town I lived when I lived in Grand Prairie, TX. Now that I've been in
Colorado for 13 years, I've seen many storms that included tornadoes as well
as chinook winds, hail, etc. Look at the events around Mt. St. Helens in
Washington and the devastation caused by it when erupted in 1980. The list
can go on and on with examples of devastation from natural causes regardless
of the elevation. It doesn't matter what elevation we live, there can be/is
some kind of natural disaster.

Vickie McKinney
Colorado Springs, CO USA