i don't think they believed the hurricane would really hit as hard as
it did.  they say they lived through many before, and they didn't
expect this one to do the damage it did. if there had been other
evacuations even on a minor level a year before they still would have
been better equiped than what they were for this one.

 maybe this one was the biggest and maybe it will be unlikely for it to
hit again.  i don't believe the "it won't hit because it has already
hit within this 100 years" theory. i wouldn't trust that. it's a shame
that the u.s. spent so much money on training for emergencies through
f.e.m.a. and the 9/11 disaster to learn nothing. this fiasco made it
kind of a shock that f.e.m.a. would not know what to do.  it took a big
loss before they were prepared for rita.  next year they will have a
ton of new procedures to follow, and they will be much better prepared.

 Not many of them are likely to own cars or
> anything else that moves swiftly and is capable of carrying extra
> burden, so they'd be dependent on the "powers that be" to move them.
> Like the poor of New Orleans, I'd say.  And probably in similiar
> numbers.

i can imagine that was the situation for a lot of people in NO.  if
they could have left, they would have.  its a shame that there wasn't
some safe house they could go when the weather got bad to meet with
someone who was trained to help them.  when i was growing up it was
always told to us that the local school houses were safe houses,and
when the weather got bad or in case of riots or war time, they housed
the people in their local neighborhoods.  they even had the little
"shelter" signs on the sides of each door way leading in the schools
and we practiced fire drills and what not to teach everyone to be
orderly and to obey who was in charge.

i think people forget that when they get older and are out of school.
it is still required to practice at hospitals and nursing homes, so at
least there is some chance there will be someone who knows what to do
in an emergency here in the u.s.
 But not if those

> in charge are "compassionate conservatives"; by comparison, even a
> communist system looks sweeter....
> --
i'm not sure who mentioned this wether it was weronica  or you that
poland ( and i guess poland is communists.  i'm not good at political
studies and only remember what you have written on this website) made
all the people in the city take nature walks and go berry picking to
show them what they could eat for survival tactics. i thought that was
a nice idea, and they should try to get the innner city school kids
here when they are in grade school to go on field trips to learn those
things.  you never know if later in life it could save your life.

from susan in tennessee,u.s.a.