Jean   Soccer is certainly played at least in parts of the US.  A friend's
daughter was very keen when she was 14 or so.  It may not have the popularity
of
American football or baseball but it does have some support which I think is
growing.

Coincidently, while I was at the garage collecting my car after its regular
service they had a television there with the Australian game on - australia was
winning comprehensively against Japan.  The australians were definitely
playing soccer (I asked the men present) and not Australian football.

Patricia in Wales