Australia is region 4. But there are various 'hacks' available. I work in
pay-TV, so it's not hard for me to find someone to hack a player, if I happened
to own one. If you know someone who's fairly geeky, then you could try asking.
For PCs, it's fairly easy to find a program to convert the DVD player to
multi-region. For TV DVD players, it depends on the manufacturer.

If you're giving people DVDs in other countries, you could always order from the
Amazon of their country. When I used to be able to play only Region 2 DVDs, I
ordered mainly from Amazon.co.uk. If you're giving to someone in the US, you can
order just about anything from Amazon.com and it will work. For Europe, order
from Amazon.co.uk.

Avital