In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
omputer>, Carol Adkinson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
>The short copy of the birth certificate is usually the one used by the
>parents of adopted children -

>From what I remember of DH registering our two daughters, the short
certificate was free (ie at initial registration) - he had to pay for
the full certificate. This may have been the case over the years - my
grandfather's original certificate (1886), which we still have, is a
short one. I bought a short copy of my (full) certificate when I needed
to send a certificate away (for a passport application I think) - so
that the full certificate stayed in my possession. It shows name, sex,
date and place of birth (registration district and sub district), and
the date and signature of the registrar when it was produced.

As yet, I haven't needed to request a copy of a marriage certificate
where the marriage has subsequently ended in divorce. (With the
exception of my brother, in the section of our family that I am
researching, we have all held on to our spouses). If anyone has, can you
settle a point of curiosity? When (at work) we send off divorce papers
to the Court for issue, the marriage certificate is sent to the Court
and unless the divorce is stopped, the Court keep hold of it. (Which
confuses an awful lot of people who think they will get it back). Is it
still possible to get a copy of the certificate and is the register
noted in any way to show that a divorce has taken place?
--
Jane Partridge