At 05:38 AM 2/11/2006, you wrote:
I've been researching our family history all year as well..it's been very interesting. I have a subscription to ancestry.com.uk, genesreunited and I often consult familysearch.org. I found familysearch a good starting point. Some of their information is wildly inaccurate but it often tells you who the parents were and some of the children. Ancestry.com has all the census records back to 1841 in the UK. The Americans kept records for longer than that..the lucky dogs :) It's surprising how much information you can get from the census records though. I found that most counties have a genealogy society and that's where I have made some valuable contacts..one fellow even went to the "home" village and took pictures of the village and one of my lost relatives :) With genesreuntied I was most annoyed, you have to pay for everything :( There again you can make some useful contacts, but overall I found that site useless. The freebie sites are limited unless you happen across someone else looking for your family tree. So far I've been able to trace my family tree back to the 1500's all on-line..now I've got to start to pay if I want certificates etc. Sharon, on Vancouver Island To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:

Dear Sharon,
In 35 years as a professional genealogical researcher I have paid for very little considering. There is certainly no way I would ever subscribe to Ancestry.com. There are many many helpful sites in the UK. The first thing I always do when confronted with a new forebear is to subscribe to the Mail List for the relevant county/. There are always heaps of wonderful willing people right on the scene who are only too willing to do lookups for you.

As for Americans keeping records longer than the Brits, that's a joke. Have you not heard that Parish Registers go back to the time of the dissolution of the monasteries in 1533?? It's simply (or complexly a matter of locating them)

One of the best clues I was ever given for research is to actually telephone the LIBRARIAN in a given village. They are so overwhelmed at receiving a phone call from the other side of the world that they will go overboard to hunt out every tid-bit they can for you. They are also NOT professional researchers and are often satisfied with a nominal donation. Once I even sent a packet of Tim Tam biscuits for the morning tea fund of the PRO on the isle of Wight, from whence the COLLYERs hail.
David in Ballarat