I've been researching our family history all year as well..it's been very interesting. I have a subscription to ancestry.com.uk, genesreunited and I often consult familysearch.org. I found familysearch a good starting point. Some of their information is wildly inaccurate but it often tells you who the parents were and some of the children. Ancestry.com has all the census records back to 1841 in the UK. The Americans kept records for longer than that..the lucky dogs :) It's surprising how much information you can get from the census records though. I found that most counties have a genealogy society and that's where I have made some valuable contacts..one fellow even went to the "home" village and took pictures of the village and one of my lost relatives :) With genesreuntied I was most annoyed, you have to pay for everything :( There again you can make some useful contacts, but overall I found that site useless. The freebie sites are limited unless you happen across someone else looking for your family tree. So far I've been able to trace my family tree back to the 1500's all on-line..now I've got to start to pay if I want certificates etc. Sharon, on Vancouver Island