On Apr 6, 2007, at 14:20, H. Muth wrote:

I agree with Tamara about the first part of the saying and think that the second must be "ruddy son of a bitch!" I've never known how 'ruddy' is an insult.

David had a better (IMO) "translation" for "bucket" than Heather's "son" (the original phrase being: "cheese and rice; muddy bucket of pitch"), but, unfortunately, it's not suitable for the Gentle Spiders' company :)

As for "ruddy" being a curse-word, Thurlow is right; it stems from the connection to "bloody". It's actually a two-pronged connection, since it *both* sounds somewhat similiar and has a somewhat similiar meaning (red). "Bloody" would have been a "banned" word on religious grounds because it was considered to refer to the blood of Christ. Polish doesn't have an equivalent of "bloody" as a curse, but it does have a curse which can be translated as "may you be flooded with blood" and no truly religious person is likely to use it unless in extreme circumstances.

--
Tamara P Duvall                            http://t-n-lace.net/