On 4/26/07 12:09 PM, Linda & Bill Mitchell wrote:

My favorite way to use rhubarb in a sort of lemonade: cut up the stalks, boil them, strain out the fibers, dilute and sweeten to taste. We called it "rhubarb juice"; I think the current term would be "rhubarb juice cocktail". (Alas, I'm no longer allowed sugar, and saccharine etc. just won't do.)

If you like a squeeze of lemon in your ice water, try putting an inch of rhubarb into a blender with a pint of water, strain.

Or steam rhubarb with as little water as possible, add the juice to seltzer, ice water, etc. (Never tried it as a substitute for lemon in honey-and-lemon cough syrup. Should do at least as well as vinegar! But I don't get colds in rhubarb season.) (knock wood)

Thin-sliced rhubarb is good in any dish that benefits from a drop of lemon juice or vinegar. Particularly beef stew.

I do hope my plants survived our normal-on-the-average winter.

--
Joy Beeson
http://joybeeson.home.comcast.net/