If the US supplier does not already accept PayPal the chances are that she will not want to open one even if she does get that email. I have looked at accepting PayPal several times but it is VERY expensive for the small business person. OK if you have a huge turnover, but if that were the case she'd be taking Visa or other forms of credit/debit card.

The other alternatives are:
Money order (as you've already discovered about GBP 15)
electronic transfer - you'll need her bank account details and will probably cost GBP 10-15 Cash - buy US dollars from Thomas Cook or a bank and send by international signed for post GBP 3.50 plus the regular airmail stamp
Cash - buy US dollars and take a chance with ordinary airmail post

Unless you have an international account you can't write a cheque (on a GBP account) in anything other than pounds sterling and pence.

If you send her a GBP cheque it will cost her an arm and a leg to accept it - she will probably refuse it.

The only other alternative is to send GBP cash, and allow a bit extra to cover conversion costs, which she can exchange at a bank.

Brenda - who will accept GBP cash, personal GBP cheque, international GBP money order, electronic transfer, any major currency in CASH, but not PayPal or plastic.