I think I understand the attraction of texting... although I personally hate it and don't have a text plan. You can sit in a deadly boring meeting and text with the object of your affections for hours without disturbing anyone... especially if you sit in the back, alone. I suspect that on some college campuses, there is more texting going on during lectures than note-taking. You can text in public without the people around you hearing what you're "saying". And text-ers have developed a sophisticated short-hand which means they can say what they need to say in very few keystrokes... So, I'm too old to change my stripes, but at least I can understand why they do it. Neither of my adult children would feel dressed and ready to face the world if they didn't have their smart phones with text-messaging in their pockets. And this mom doesn't pay their phone bill any more - they do!!

When young people live alone, or share an apartment with another single person, a land phone is not necessary since their cell phone is with them all the time. And if their roomie's phone rings, no one has to wonder who should answer the phone.

One thing I am bewildered by is how often I see married couples communicating with each other via Facebook. Hello? If you got off the computer, you could say it in person and it would be even nicer!!!

Clay, who is gradually coming to terms with the fact that I am an old fart.