Conjecture here, but I think that "ruddy" is related to what in the US we call 
'red-neck," of which is a person who is in the sun too much, implying a blue 
collared worker, and tending toward drink and a flush to the face, and all of 
the free flowing communication that can come with that.  

It could also be a polite substitute for "bloody" as was shared, just as here 
people have taken to using "frickin" and versions of that, as a substitution 
for what is considered the most egregious four letter of word of all.

I was taken aback at the Harry Potter movies and the "swear" words used, though 
I have British ancestry so was aware of what they implied.

I think swear words are much more common everywhere, and being of a middle age, 
and having previously been proper most of my life, have taken to using a word 
or two, as saying, "I am very upset" doesn't quite measure to a well chosen 
expletive or two, that conveys it succinctly.  I think that some of the rules 
have more to do with man's laws and fear, than Divine Laws.  <smile>  

Best,
Susan Reishus

 
---------------------------------
Expecting? Get great news right away with email Auto-Check.
Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.

To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace-chat [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to