Oh, that's a new slant on the vexed question of copyright.

I would suggest that (under UK rules) in the absence of any other agreement, if you buy the original painting you are also buying the copyright which means that you could have prints made if you wished.

If you buy a print of a painting it's much the same as buying a print/photocopy of a lace pattern; yours to use but not copy for others to use. The original pattern, the intellectual property, stays with the originator. How often do you see an original lace pattern drawing offered for sale? Very seldom because the designer generally wants to retain her copyright. Original paintings are sold, and usually that's the end of the artist's rights to it. Sometimes you see prints on sale for a few pounds and the original offered for considerably more, but in those cases the right of copying would be spelt out at the time of purchase.

Last summer the art class I which attend and another with the same tutor did a Rolf Harris style montage of Eduard Manet's 'A Bar at the Folies Bergere' which was painted in 1832 just a year before Manet died. Our tutor got all the proper permissions from the Courtauld Gallery, including the purchase of a quality print of the picture to cut up. The copyright on the painting itself would have expired many years ago but Jonathan still asked for, and was given, permission to use the picture in that way. As I understand it, the (original Manet) painting is displayed in a private gallery and the gallery owners have the right to allow or refuse photography of it.

That's my two penn'th, but if anyone knows otherwise....

Brenda

If I buy an original painting (for example from a street vendor) --
can I then do whatever I wish with it - including have prints made and sell them when he becomes famous, or is my right limited.

The question assumes there is no supplementary agreement to the sale/purchase. And the other side of the coin -- if I do buy it, can he later sell prints, absent an agreement to the contrary.

TAI
Susan Webster
Ohio

To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace-chat [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]



Brenda in Allhallows, Kent
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/index.html

To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace-chat [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to