Hi Susan and everyone

I'll just cut to this part (shall I?) <g>

> In particular, I have an original watercolor by an unknown artist (who
> may or may not be alive) of a boy standing on a bridge which transcends
> a rocky gorge.  I have thought I might try to make a black and white
> (with shades of grey) weaving of this painting.  Whether I **can** do
> this is yet to be determined, and as I have no intention of selling it,
> I think I may legally do whatever I wish, but considering the issue and
> seeing the "copyright" topic on chat, made me wonder if I could legally
> weave it for resale.  A more realistic and honest question -- if I am
> able to weave a rendition, may I enter it in the local May Show as my
> own work?

I would argue that because you have woven the image, the weaving part
anyway, is your own work ;)

(does this help?)

If you can change the image significantly, while still using it for the
basis of your weaving, which I understand is your intent (using the image
for a resource) then I don't think there is anything wrong, i.e. 'illegal'
- earlier artists liked to copy each other, in the sense of re-working an
existing art work and musicians too, for that matter. They would
acknowledge the fact, usually in the title. For your weaving, if there is
an artist's statement you have to prepare, that might be the place to
declare your image source - if you feel you need to.


Bev in Sooke, BC (on beautiful Vancouver Island) off to check out the
garden...

To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace-chat [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to