Interesting question.
I do work with art galleries and artists from time to time.

As with the lace pattern scenario, if you buy a painting directly from an
artist, you own the painted image, but not the image itself - so the
artist can make prints and sell them (presumably before parting with the
original!). I guess you can probably do so at a later date, if the artist
is no longer living, and the estate won't quibble over the matter.

Art gallery and art archival ownership is different again, as Brenda
described, the institution will have some say in the use of the original.

I am skipping over a lot of fine print and qualifiers here, to give a
straight answer.

Does this help?
-- 
bye for now
Bev in Sooke, BC (on Vancouver Island, west coast of Canada)

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007, Brenda Paternoster wrote:

> to use.  The original pattern, the intellectual property, stays with
> the originator.

>
> > If I buy an original painting (for example from a street vendor) --
> > can I then do whatever I wish with it - including have prints made and
> > sell them when he becomes famous, or is my right limited.
> >

To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace-chat [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to