Hi All,
I have just started reading Angela's report in 'Lace' Arachne on her
travels, and I had to smile! It brought back memories of when my husband
and I were in Yogoslavia many years ago.
We had stayed outside Dubrovnik, but went into the city one day, to see the
sights. We decided to catch the car to take us up to the top of the
mountain - which was a big mistake! I am terrified of heights, but being
fairly newly married, thought that I should try this, as John obviously
wanted to take photos from the top - but the cable car was a truly
horrendous ride for me, which I spent cowering on the floor of the car,
gripping the floor. When we got to the top, I got out, was promptly also
overcome by the height, and spent the day cowering in a corner of the walls,
not moving a muscle, with my eyes tightly shut. To this day, the smell of
rosemary brings back all those feelings of sheer terror. However, it came
to the time of the departure of the last cable car down the mountian, and
John had been trying for quite a while to prise my hands lose from the
stones - to no avail. I think panic was beginning to set in, on his
behalf too, when salvation loomed in the shape of a hefty German young man.
He asked if there was a problem - John told him there was, and that I was
it! With which, the chap hauled off, punched me under the chin, knocked
me out, and picked me up to cart me over his shoulder to the cable car. (I
was a very skinny lady then - not at all like I am now ...) When the
bruises faded, I was quite relieved, I suppose, as I wasn't getting down any
other way, but it did hurt for ages! But - if he hadn't done it, maybe
I'd be a point of attraction and tourists would come in their droves to
visit this strange anchorite who lives at the top of a mountain ......
Carol - in fairly flat Suffolk, so no chance of being terrified at the top
of a mountain .
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace-chat [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]