The discussion on the uses and perils of diagrams on the main list reminded me of rear-view mirrors.

I wouldn't dream of going for a bicycle ride without a mirror fixed to my helmet -- but I also wouldn't dream of allowing a rank beginner to use one. The cheap information from a mirror would prevent him from learning how to look back without wobbling, and looking back is essential: a mirror can tell you when it's not safe to change lanes, but it can't tell you when it is safe -- you have to look back to make sure the way is clear.

At least lace lessons aren't a matter of life and death.

--
Joy Beeson
http://joybeeson.home.comcast.net/
http://roughsewing.home.comcast.net/
http://n3f.home.comcast.net/ -- Writers' Exchange
http://www.debeeson.net/LakeCam/LakeCam.html
west of Fort Wayne, Indiana, U.S.A.
where it's raining, so I stayed home and did the laundry.

To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace-chat [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected]. Photo site:
http://community.webshots.com/user/arachne2003

Reply via email to