What a long thread to be inspired by a simple observation that colored diagrams -- or, perhaps, one specific set of colored diagrams; I've long since deleted the post -- made one person feel as though she were painting by numbers!

Which brings up fond memories: I remember when paint-by-number sets were new and exciting: coloring books for grown-ups! Mom advised me that one would get better results by being a little sloppy than by being painstakingly careful to color within the lines -- a lesson for life in general, I think.

This was about the time that advertisers were jumping up and down to tell us that at long last ball-point pens really work -- which inspired the classic Pogo in which Pogo informed Churchy LaFemme that pens that write under water were obsolete, now pens write under butter. To which Churchy replied, "Whoosh, and butter so high!"

("High", in this context, meant "expensive".)

But they really did write on greasy surfaces; I wanted to repurpose one of my paint-by-number panels for something or the other that required me to draw graph-paper lines all over it, and a cheap ball-point did the job beautifully.


--
Joy Beeson
http://joybeeson.home.comcast.net/
http://roughsewing.home.comcast.net/
http://n3f.home.comcast.net/ -- Writers' Exchange
http://www.debeeson.net/LakeCam/LakeCam.html
west of Fort Wayne, Indiana, U.S.A.
where it's a bright and sunny day, so what am I doing in here?

To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace-chat [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected]. Photo site:
http://community.webshots.com/user/arachne2003

Reply via email to