I am writing to these lists because I understand that many of the
threads I am investigating are primarily lacemaking threads.   People on
these lists would have knowledge about them.

I have volunteered to mend the altar linen - once I learned that mending
it requires only the ability to hand darn neatly - and some good fine
thread.

The altar guild expect the mending to be barely visible.  Noone who
knows how to do it is currently at our church.   The work that I found
on the altar linen is a very neat hand darning job - with ordinary or
slightly fine sewing thread.   But that particular piece is not as
finely woven as most of our altar linen, and I think that the
appropriate thread would be less visible.

A couple of women in the altar guild mentioned machine darning - please
don't anyone mention it to me as I don't own a machine and machine
darning is not nearly as easy to get right.

I am having a problem finding out what sort of fine thread to get.

The altar linen is pure linen - washed many times, and presumably done
shrinking.   It gets handled as delicate linen and ironed dry.

Is the best linen to use linen, or cotton?   One company I wrote to
recommended their fine polyester thread - is that a good idea, or will
it necessarily have too much of a sheen to it?

People on the needlework news groups are saying that linen thread may
not necessarily be very strong or suitable for sewing, and also that it
may be hard to find white linen thread that is truly white.

People have recommended Madeira tanne or cotona 80 - but I am having
difficulty learning just how fine this stuff is, and there is a question
about how strong it is, and also about whether darning requires a strong
thread.   Madeira threads are lacemaking threads, and their tanne 50 is
not finer than the Sulky #40 that I was able to lay my hands on.   Both
have a tex size of about 24.     Coats and Clark's extra fine dual duty
polyester is finer than that!

The Madeira company was no help.   I contacted the contact e-mail on the
U.S. web site.  The guy who wrote back said they don't make cotona and
have discontinued tanne but possibly the U.S. branch makes it so contact
them!

I didn't even find #80 on their web site - so probably they have
discontinued it.   They guy said he'd enver HEARD of it - though you can
still buy it all over the web and everyone on the needlework newsgroups
seems to have some.

People recommended a finer grade of Londerry linen thread - but not sure
if linen is suitable for this.

Another recommendation was d'Alace #50 DMC, but I can't fine that on the
DMC web site at all, and it isn't clear that it isn't really one of
several other DMC lacemaking threads that are too shiny and too tightly
wound to use to darn altar linen.   Allegedly it is soft.  I hope that
means matte finish.   I haven't been able to learn waht size it really
is at all.   DMC did not answer my e-mail.   EVeryone says d'Alace #50
is very fine, but everyone also says Sulky #40 is very fine, and its tex
number of 24 barely fits into the fine thread category.   Allegedly is
is very similar to Madeira tanne or cotona - but the guy who said that
did not say similar to what weight of Madeira tanne or cotona, and since
I already have some tex 24 thread, I've no need to acquire something of
the same weight as tanne or cotona #50!

Several people have told me to use #80 or #100 thread by teh system by
which ordinary sewing thread is #60 - but I haven't been able to learn
which sizing system is that!  I have been led to believe that it doesn't
necessarily have much to do with the lace making and fine machine
embroidery threads that I understand are the sort of thread I am looking
for.

I have read the thread size explanations on the web, including the
Thread of Truth article, Vibeke Ervo's article, American and Efyrd's
site, and a number of similar sites - but there is some stuff they leave
out.

A well- recommended thread seller recommended their The Bottom Line
applique and bobbin thread.  "Fine weight 60" wt."   Of course, they
didn't tell me weight 60 on which thread sizing system - or which
"weight" system!  (Can't mean ordinary sewing thread, which is "60".)
He did say it is made of polyester - is it suitable for mending linen
altar linen?

Thanks alot!   I'll appreciate any help!

Yours,
Dora Smith

unsubscribe lace [EMAIL PROTECTED]