On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 13:58:00 -0700 (PDT), Barbara wrote:

>Hello all,
>1. Is tatting cotton OK for bobbin lacemaking?

If a thread can be put on some sort of bobbin, and won't break when pulled,
then it can be used for bobbin lace.  Some threads are hard to use - shiny
ones have a tendency to spring off the bobbins - and some are easy.
Different threads give a different look to the work and which threads are
best is a matter of personal taste.  I personally do not like the look of
tatting or crochet cotton in bobbin lace.  The roundness of the thread and
the tight spin on it mean that it remains very much as individual threads
going over and under one another in an area of cloth stitch.  I prefer the
look of a more matte thread that has not been so tightly spun.  So buy one
colour, try it, and see whether you like it or not.
--
Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy.
Henry Louis Mencken