I have had both wrists operated for carpal tunnel syndrome and I also have
very light arthritis but I go to a  hand training class every week and they
say that making bobbinlace palms down (I never asked about palms up) are
very good for your hands, it strenghtens the muscles on the sides of your
fingers and prevent the Z forming of your hand. Some of my friends thought
it was because I make bobbinlace that I got arthritis but since I got ill
for the first tiime when I was 10 and then I had never heard of bobbinlace
it is not that that caused it. But my shoulders can get very sore when I sit
too long.
Ann-Marie