In the last two weeks or so, I have received about 4 requests for information
about laundering fine linens. In one case, it was a piece of crochet dating
from the 1940's that had had some red dye run into it. In another, a woman
inquired about some cutwork, filet lace, and miscellaneous other things that
appear to me as though they date from the first half of the 20th century, possibly
the 1920's. She wants to know how to take care of them.
I find that when I begin to explain the whole thing about Orvis, which has to
be obtained in a specialty store, and the procedure, which involves window
screens in some cases, the recipient of the information begins to tune out. In
addition, providing info about conservation facilities such as that at the
American Textile History Museum is entirely off base because these are not museum
quality objects and the individuals have no interest in spending hundreds or
even thousands of dollars on these items. I think that what people want me to
provide is the name of a fine hand laundry capable of handling these items.  Do
such places exist anymore? How does one find them? I am also in a quandry
because many of these items from the 20's have negligible value, but they are now
80 years old. What should people be doing with them? Should they use them, in
which case, can anything 80 years old actually withstand washing, even let's
say 4 times a year after family gatherings? Or should they keep them in the
closet to protect them? But why would you do that, since they are virtually
valueless as antiques?
Thoughts?
Devon
who avoids using fancy linens because she doesn't want to expend a lot of
time or money maintaining them