I am also in a quandry
because many of these items from the 20's have negligible value, but they are now
80 years old. What should people be doing with them? Should they use them, in
which case, can anything 80 years old actually withstand washing, even let's
say 4 times a year after family gatherings?

Maybe you should start out with the philosophical question: do they want their doily to live for ever or do they want it to enjoy life? A museum goes to greater lengths to preserve textiles than even the most conscientious person at home, but if the textile doesn't already have any severe weaknesses it should stand up to careful washing - and then go on to explain how to carefully wash something at home.

Although it goes against the grain with a person trained to conservation, the person who can do something with what they have at hand is way more likely to do it than someone who is told to get things from specialty stores, etc. So, forget the distilled ion-free water out of the silver taps and the sandwiching between layers of net. How about a little non-detergent pure soap, a long soaking, and draining the water until the object sits in the empty basin before you lift it, rather than picking it up out of the water? No wringing, pat dry between two towels, etc.

If you're worried about getting the museum in trouble in case they do this and wreck their bit of lace, you could always prepare a 1 or 2-page written document that gives two methods: what the museum would do and what someone at home could do, and then pack a disclaimer into the last paragraph.

Oh, and about your original question - I've seen a few laundries and dry cleaners where what they say they do at the front counter is not what they do in the back room. So if I did hear of a business that specialized in cleaning delicate items I'd still hesitate to recommend it to strangers.

Adele
North Vancouver, BC
(west coast of Canada)