I finally 'bought the book' (The Complete
Encyclopedia of Needlework, Anniversary
Edition, (Fourth Edition) ISBN 0-7624-1318-2)
(soft cover - $15.95).

The first thing I read was that this was
the "complete" edition, in spite of the fact
that the original had over 800 pages and
this one has only 702 appendix included.

The last chapter, Miscellaneous Directions,
has, on Page 697, "How to Wash Ordinary
Lace" and "How to Wash Fine Lace" and
goes on to all the other things that seem
to 'kill' lace but are nevertheless printed
here . . . including *lye* washing for
stains . . . ? . . . and Cleaning Embroidery
Worked in Real Silk . . .

I realize that Ms Dillmont may have been
'aiming' at non-museum quality textiles,
but ??? where/when do *those* begin ?

Toni in Seattle